31 May 2008

Mania 2.0

First it was Web 2.0 Now we have Music 2.0

I see (and so will you by selecting the Title Mania 2.0) we have a potentiality new audio standard coming out of Korea known as MT9. More details about its history and features can be found at


Three things strike me to call this Hot Stuff. (I always need at least 2 reasons).

  1. The claim it can be 10 times smaller in file size.
  2. The ability to single out voice. (More on that in a moment)
  3. No DRM.
Working backwards. I *hate* DRM. It's not the basic idea, it the implementation. I'm not against the concept of locks. Bet most of you lock the door to your home. Door locks (mostly) work. DRM does not stop anyone and annoys the folks who paid for something.

The ability to "work" six different channels appeals to me. Like almost any older military vet, some types of background noise "kills" my ability to hear. I'm not deaf. And I cannot hear a human communication being presented to me when there is low frequency noise that accompanies it. So I avoid having any social time, say ordering a beer, where there is loud music.

Being able to select voice or chorus for hearing communication, like say, training, appeals to me.

Size. Sometimes smaller IS better, despise what all the Spam emails are attempting to tell/sell me. I don't know how much (if any) loss there is dropping in size. It is arguable that the .WMA format is superior/inferior to the .MP3 format for quality verses size. The argument is indeed a small one in my testing. I have seen 75MB .MP3 go to 25MB .WMA with little/no issue on vocals.

That is 1/3 the size for the same effect, as far as training purposes go, for .WMA over .MP3.

Give me say, 1/5 the size, and let me kill the background 'BOOM". Don't foist DRM hassles on me. Keep the quality roughly the same. Give me all that and I'll give away every MP3/WMA player I own. Thanks for the heads up, Rishi! Let me know when I can get a MT9 player and software to convert my stuff.

No comments: