20 May 2008

Open Source "Winners"

Following up on my last entry on Open Source.

A few days ago I got an email saying a security survey found open source has fewer "leaks" then ever.

This got my attention because the last round I read claimed commercial and open source we're running dead even.

So overall, Open Source applications are now more secure than commerical.
And free.

A client packing quite a few brain cells asked me how do these authors make money? Do they make money?

A: Some yes. And not in the way you would think.

Working an open source project give the author a more visible "try me out" to any employer. In short, it is a resume/CV builder. So yes, in a way they do make money!

Today I came across the link in this blog. Really interesting collection of programs! My largest gripe is the Windows-centric nature. I'm not Anti-Windows! (I'm a MCSE too). And I'm old enough to know there is more to life than Windows.

However besides selecting the best of "free" (some are Not Open Source, just free), the site does and excellent job of noting any cross-platform features. Additionally, if an offering can be used without touching the registry, it is considered portable.

This is a really 'nice to know'. You have your favorite application on a USB key. No install required. Today I saw a really well made (and fast) 32 Gig USB key for $100. That's pretty impressive. You could walk around with a waterproof USB "hard drive" for $100.

Isn't technology wonderful?


No comments: